Magnum Fire Wardens offer vital assitance for the development of commercial fire safety programs.
Fire warden duties include:
- Checking fire alarms are in working order and clearly visible. This is carried out once per week at least.
- Checking emergency exits are clear of obstructions and can be opened easily in an emergency.
- Ensuring that fire extinguishers are visible and are regularly serviced.
- Checking fire doors are in working order and are kept closed.
- Ensuring emergency lighting is functional.
- Is there adequate fire safety signage? Signage should be visible and securely fastened to the wall.
- General housekeeping practices. For example, are sources of heat kept apart from sources of fuel?
- Staff fire training induction.
- Carry out annual fire drills. This can help to cement training and check that all employees know what to do in an emergency fire situation.
- All fire safety activities are recorded and monitored.
In the event of a fire
Their first and foremost priority is to get everybody out of the building safely, including themselves. In addition to this magnum fire warden will also:
- Raise the alarm.
- Close all fire doors to stop the fire from spreading.
- Ensure that any vulnerable persons are evacuated according to their Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP).
- Ensure every person has left the building, including bathroom and storage areas.
- Use fire fighting equipment, such as extinguishers, if it is safe to do so.
- Support with roll calls. Is every person accounted for?
- Liaise with emergency services.